Stage 5 takes you south from Glenmalure on a long stage with lots of varied terrain, gentle climbs and nice views the whole way to the stage end close to Crossbridge, near Tinahely.
You will notice very quickly that you are now in a much quieter part of the Wicklow Uplands! This area is less visited and this is one of its highlights. Today route is a tough one with two big climbs. The first climb to the top of Slieve Maan is the hardest. Iron Bridge marks the lowest point on the route before the last big climb Ballyteigh before your descent to Moyne an dthen onwards to Crossbridge and the end of day 5.
Markings: The route is marked with yellow marker poles – Linear Trail
Estimated time: 8hrs
Total height climbed: 990m
Highest point: 520m
Terrain underfoot: Public road, forest track and exposed mountain trail
Suitable for: This is a high mountain route and should only be undertaken by those who are fully equipped with rainwear, warm clothing, food and strong footwear.
Notes: Open mountain- very exposed to weather, can be difficult to navigate as you leave the forest if weather is poor.
- GPS FOR START POINT: Drumgoff Crossroads, Glenmalure 52.957661,-6.353595
- GRID REF START POINT: Drumgoff Crossroads, Glenmalure T 106 909
- GPS FOR END POINT: Near Crossbridge, Tinahely 52.863637,-6.464081
- GRID REF END POINT: Near Crossbridge, Tinahely T 020 744
- Public transport.
– Nearest Train Station: Rathdrum 10km (Irishrail.ie)
– NEW DAILY BUS SERVICE TO ARKLOW OR TULLOW AT TINAHELY
- Eat, Drink, Stay in GLENMALURE/RATHDRUM / TINAHELY