Glenart Wood is situated to the south of the Avoca River on the outskirts of Arklow.
The Glenart estate dates from the Norman invasion when Theobald Walter, from whom the Butlers and the Dukes of Ormond are descended, was granted a large tract of lands in Co Wicklow. The Butler family owned the estate until the late 17th century when it passed through marriage to the Proby family. Glenart is a small glen with small streams flowing into the Avoca River.The site hosts fox, rabbit, badger, stoat and hare.
This loop walk allows views of Glenart Castle and on through woodland which includes oaks dating from the 1820’s, Western Hemlock, Sitka spruce, grand fir, beech, ash, Scots pine and birch.
There’s plenty to see and the walk is relatively flat.
Markings: Marked with Yellow markers.
Distance: 7 km
Estimated time: 2 hrs
Total height climbed: 110m
Highest point: 150m
Terrain underfoot: Forest trail
Suitable for: Families etc
How to get to start point: Lamberton Road, Arklow. The wood can also be accessed via the road that runs past the Arklow Town Soccer Club grounds.
- GPS START POINT: 52.798595,-6.1746906
- GRID REF: T 231447 73487
- Bus: Bus Eireann: www.buseireann.ie
- Train: Irish Rail: www.irishrail.ie