‘TWO DAYS IN WICKLOW’: Train to Bray, Cliff Walk, Greystones, Wicklow Town, Fat Bikes, Wicklow Jail
This is our first “Two Days in Wicklow” tour package proposal. This tour can be enjoyed without cars using only train from Dublin City Centre. Enjoy stunning walks along the Cliff Walk, Food in Greystones, Fat Bikes in Wicklow Town, dinner and overnight in Wicklow Town then visit and lunch at Wicklow’s Historic Gaol. In March 2018, we brought a few journalists on this tour and this is our full itinerary details:
DAY 1: Cliff Walk & Fat Bikes
Train to Bray Seafront:
We all took the Train/Dart from Dublin City Centre and met at The Martello in Bray for handmade scones, tea or coffee. There we gave our bags to Theresa from Wicklow Way Baggage to be delivered to our accommodation in Wicklow Town.
Walk the Cliff Walk to Greystones:
Lunch in Greystones – Train to Wicklow Town:
Fat Bikes Tour in Wicklow Town:
Dinner and overnight:
After dropping our bags at the Grand Hotel for some and the Halpin’s Townhouse for others, we all enjoyed a great dinner at the Bridge Tavern overlooking the river. The Bridge Tavern also offers overnight accommodation. We finished the night checking some of the local pubs.
DAY 2: Wicklow Jail
Visit of Wicklow’s Historic Gaol:
No visit to Wicklow Town is complete without taking a tour of Wicklow Jail. There the Jailers gives you an introduction through how tough life was here, there we all meandered through the various floors of this unique place.
Lunch at Jailer’s Rest & Wicklow Town:
Located within the Jail’s walls, The Jailer’s Rest Cafe offers local dishes as well as diverse flavour mostly made from local ingredients. Most of the afternoon was spent walking around Wicklow Town for some shopping, then we headed back to take the train.
Here is the list of resources that will help you prepare this trip:
- There are on average five train services from Dublin to Bray on the DART
- Irish Rail operates six trains from Greystones to Wicklow and same back to Dublin
- Check timetables and book your ticket at http://www.irishrail.ie
- Theresa from Wicklow Way Luggage brought our bags to our accommodation in Wicklow Town: http://wicklowwaybaggage.com/
- Orla from Sugar Loaf Adventures was our guide along the Cliff Walk: https://www.sugarloafadventures.ie/
- Wicklow is home to numerous activities! find yours at https://visitwicklow.ie/activities
Food & Drinks:
- We tasted The Martello’s handmade scones in Bray: https://www.themartello.ie
- Lunch on day 1 was at the Happy Pear in Greystones: https://thehappypear.ie/
- Dinner day 1: The Bridge Tavern in Wicklow Town: https://www.bridgetavern.ie/
- Lunch on day 2 was at the Jailer’s Rest in Wicklow Town: http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/jailers-rest-cafe-restaurant/
- Breakfast was served at our accommodation providers below
- For more places to Eat & Drink, check https://visitwicklow.ie/food-drink/
- Wicklow’s Historic Gaol is open daily from. Book you entry at http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/