Beyond the Trees Avondale Recognised as a World Leader: New Status Makes Avondale the First Age Friendly Tourist Destination in Ireland
Age Friendly Ireland jas awarded Age Friendly recognition to Beyond the Trees Avondale located in Avondale Forest Park, County Wicklow, acknowledging it as the first age friendly tourist destination in the country.
Beyond the Trees Avondale received its official Age Friendly Charter at a launch event today and will now also be recognised by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as an international model of good practice for age friendly development. A case study publication was also launched today by Age Friendly Ireland, outlining the work undertaken at Beyond the Trees Avondale.
The age friendly elements of Beyond the Trees Avondale include:
- 22 Age Friendly car parking spaces as well as 25 Disabled Parking bays and 6 Electric Vehicle charging points.
- Changing Places toilet facility (which includes an adjustable bench, hoist and shower)
- Fully accessible Treetop walk aligned to age friendly principles
- New age friendly signage
- Concessions on ticket prices for 65+ age group
- Accessible trails including a multi access route that is suitable for wheelchair users
- Age Friendly seating along the route
- Pedestrian access from village and railway station
- A family cycle trail
- Dedicated accessibility content on the website
Beyond the Trees is a spectacular visitor destination, developed in partnership between Coillte, Fáilte Ireland and EAK Ireland in Avondale Forest Park, County Wicklow, combining a stunning 700 metre Treetop Walk with a 12-story high Viewing Tower, created for the project by EAK Ireland.