Wicklow’s Hidden Gardens – Two Day Tour
Our May 2018 Press Trip brought us through some of Wicklow’s best hidden gardens: Start at June Blake’s and Hunting Brook Gardens in Blessington. Quick lunch at Grangecon Cafe, Check the Rhododendrons and Birds of Prey Centre at Russborough House and finish the day in Kiltegan at Patthana Garden. After a fantastic dinner and overnight at the Brooklodge & Macreddin Village, meet Catherine at Shekina Sculpture Garden, tour the Botanic Gardens at Kilmaccuragh and finish the tour with lunch at Hunters Hotel.
DAY 1: West Wicklow Gardens
June Blake’s Garden
We all met at June Blake’s Garden, where Dara (June’s Son) gave us a tour. June then met us for a cup of tea and some stories.
Hunting Brook Gardens
Located just five minutes from June’s garden, Huntingbrook Garden was our second stop. Unfortunately, Gardener Jimi Blake was away and it is Dara that showed us around.
We drove into the centre of Blessington for lunch at the Grangecon Café
Russborough Rhododendron Trail
After lunch, we stopped at Russborough House to follow the short trail to the Rhododendrons.
National Birds of Prey Centre
Before leaving Russborough House, we managed a short visit of the National Birds of Prey Centre located pass Russborough’s West Wing.
Our last visit was in the small village of Kiltegan, passed Baltinglass, where we toured TJ’s Patthana Garden.
Brooklodge and Macreddin Village
A 25 minutes’ drive over the hills brought us to The Brooklodge and Macreddin Village to spend the night after a meal at the Strawberry Tree.
DAY 2: Wicklow Mountains, Spiritual Garden and Exotic Trees
Shekina Scultpure Garden
We left the Brooklodge around 9.30am and drove over ‘…..’ (with stunning views of Lugnaquilla, Ireland’s highest mountain outside of Kerry) to arrive at Shekina Sculpture Garden.
National Botanic Gardens at Kilmaccuragh
Passed Rathdrum we stopped at the National Botanic Gardens at Kilmaccuragh for a tour.
We concluded our trip with a short drive to Hunters Hotel for lunch and a visit of their vegetable gardens
- June Blake’s Garden: http://www.juneblake.ie
- Hunting Brook Gardens: www.huntingbrook.com
- Grangecon Cafe: https://www.facebook.com/Grangecon-Cafe-139433262795185/
- Russborough House: http://www.russborough.ie/
- National Birds of Prey: http://nationalbirdofpreycentre.ie/
- Patthana Garden: https://www.facebook.com/Patthanagardenkiltegan/
- Brooklodge & Macreddin Village: https://www.brooklodge.com/
- Shekina Sculpture Garden: http://www.shekinasculpturegarden.com/
- National Botanic Gardens Kilmaccuragh: http://www.botanicgardens.ie/kilmac/kilmhome.htm
- Hunters hotel: http://www.hunters.ie/