Members News: Trade Shows in Belfast, Dublin & Copenhagen
2016 started at great speed with Wicklow County Tourism attending shows in Belfast, Dublin & Copenhagen. Wicklow Tourism was busy promoting Wicklow at both Holiday World Shows in Belfast and Dublin in January. And early February, we were invited by Tourism Ireland’s office in Copenhagen to meet with Tour Operators and journalists from the Nordics market.
Holiday World Shows:
- Belfast Holiday World Show (January 15 to 17): Wicklow County Tourism has been attending the Belfast Holiday World show for more than 10 years now. As Wicklow is a popular destination within the Northern Irish market we are always keen to keep flagging Wicklow as a tourism destination. This year’s three days event was moved from the isolated Kings Hall to the exciting new conference center at Titanic Quarters. Only 10 minutes distance from the World Class Titanic Exhibition, the show was extremely well attended.
- Dublin Holiday World Show (January 22nd – 24th): This is the second year that Wicklow Tourism is present at the Dublin Holiday World Show. Dublin is the place to be! This is the biggest holiday show in the Country, and this edition was better than last. For three days, our stand was constantly busy. The Dublin area remains Wicklow’s biggest target market and both our maps and directory were extremely popular.
- Between both shows, we distributed more than 2000 maps and directories. With the support of Wicklow Tourism’s members, we organised a raffle with many prizes to win. We collected more than 700 email entries. Collecting emails is one of our key objectives as this give us an opportunity to remarket Wicklow through ezine and online promotions.
Nordics Market Show with Tourism Ireland:
We were given an opportunity to attend a Tourism Ireland promotional day event in Copenhagen earlier this month, to meet with Tour operators from Denmark, Sweeden and Norway.
- Market review: In 2015, some 230.000 people from scandinavia traveled to Ireland. This market grew by 17% and our objective is to divert some of that market into Wicklow.
- The event was held in Copenhagen’s new Aquarium where 49 Tour Operators came to meet twenty tourism Irish tourism businesses from all over Ireland (North and South). That same evening, Tourism Ireland had organised a PR event inviting journalists from various print media. Ireland’s Ancient East was the main message and was properly presented before each events. Expectations from such events are huge as each contact made can reach a great number of potential visitors. We are currently following up on all the contacts we have made, and already, we have secured various hiking groups to Wicklow this year, and a couple of visits from journalists from popular Danish magazine.
- Contact for Tour Operators and PR: Please get in touch with us if you want to know a bit more about the Nordics Market, and get access to the database of Tour Operators and Press contacts we gathered in Copenhagen.
Wicklow Tourism is scheduled various upcoming shows:
- March: Irish Tour Operators Association (ITOA)
- April: Meitheal organised by Failte Ireland (International Tour Operators)
- May: Trade and Tourism Show for Active Retirement Ireland in Wexford.