West Wicklow Festival 2017
The inaugural event we will host 3 recitals at Russborough House with the inspiring Quatuor Zaide, Ducasse trio, Rachel Kelly (mezzo-soprano) and Fiachra Garvey(piano).
The West Wicklow Fesival was set up by pianist Fiachra Garvey. Fiachra grew up as a farmer and pianist in Ballyknockan, on the glistening Blessington lakes. In 2011, Fiachar moved to London to pursue a Masters degree at the Royal Academy of Music, and subsequently travelled extensively to many great festivals all around the world.
With every new festival he attended, fiachar could no longer ignore his desire to establish a festival in his native Wicklow, and finally this year, 2017, it is happening! This festival will bring the riches of wonderful artists from Ireland and abroad to West Wicklow, for the enjoyment of all-comers. Russborough House, one of Ireland’s most beautiful Palladian houses, is a fitting venue with its intimate surroundings and its long history and association with music.
Friday 19th, 8pm
- Mozart: String Quartet no 16 in Eb major, K428 (Quatuor Zaide)
- Milhaud: Suite op. 157b for clarinet, violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Khachaturian: Trio for clarinet, violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Schumann: String Quartet no 3 in a minor op. 41/3 (Quatuor Zaide)
- Ives: Largo for clarinet, violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Bartok: Contrasts (Ducasse Trio)
Saturday 20th, 8pm
- Mozart: String Quartet no 4 in C major K157 (Quatuor Zaide)
- Arutiunian: Suite for clarinet, violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Shostakovich: 5 pieces arranged for clarinet, violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Stravinsky: Suite from L’histoire du soldat for clarinet,violin and piano (Ducasse Trio)
- Brahms: Piano quintet in f minor op.34 (Quatuor Zaide/Fiachra Garvey)
Sunday 21st, 4pm (Rachel Kelly, Fiachra Garvey)
- Canteloube: Chants D’Auvergne (Malurous qu’o uno fenno / Pastourelle / Bailero / L’Antoueno)
- Debussy: Trois Chansons De Bilitis (La flute de Pan / La Chevelure / Le tombeau des Naiades)
- Duparc: Au pays ou se fait la guerre / Extase
- Rachmaninoff: Vocalise
- Strauss: 4 songs op. 27 (Ruhe, meine Seele / Cacilie / Heimliche Aufforderung / Morgen)
- Rossini: La Cenerentola: Nacqui all’affano e al pianto….Non piu mesta
- Herbert Hughes: Selection of Irish songs
Fiachra Garvey is a pianist currently based between London and Ireland. Fiachra graduated from the Royal Academy of Music, London in 2013 with 1st class Honours and Distinction in the Master of Arts Degree in Music Performance. This follows a 1st class Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music Performance from the Royal Irish Academy of Music in September 2011 and a 1st class Honours DipMus (performance and teaching) from the RIAM in 2008. In May 2009, Fiachra was the top Irish prizewinner at the AXA Dublin International Piano Competition, being awarded the Brennan Prize and the McCullough bursary. www.fiachragarvey.com
‘The Ducasse Trio perform with an exciting sense of creativity and spontaneity and are all excellent individual players‘
Hailed for their innovative and unique approach to music,the Ducasse Trio was formed in 2010 when they met at the Paris Conservatoire. They have performed extensively around Europe and have been awarded numerous awards including the Worshipful Company of Musicians Award, Concordia’s Barthel Prize and were finalists in YCAT 2016 at Wigmore Hall.
As a young well-established quartet, the Quatuor Zaïde won several international quartet competitions, they are regularly invited to the best festivals and concert halls in the world and collaborate extensively with distinguished worldwide known musicians.